Hogwarts Regenerated

Hello and welcome to Hogwarts Regenerated. We have moved over to http://z13.invisionfree.com/HogwartsRegenerated/index.php? come join us!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Regenerated

Hello and welcome to Hogwarts Regenerated. We have moved over to http://z13.invisionfree.com/HogwartsRegenerated/index.php? come join us!!

Hogwarts Regenerated

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new generation of witches and wizards has come. Whose side are you on?

3 posters

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only]

Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only] - Page 2 Empty Re: To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only]

Post by Sel Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 am

"And Exaresco evaporates water. It's still different though." Iris added while eyeing the books on the upper shelf.
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only] - Page 2 Empty Re: To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only]

Post by Clarisse Valliere Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 am

"Oh.. Okay, then." she said in a submissive tone.

"This might help.." she muttered and took a book, starting to flick its pages.

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only] - Page 2 Empty To Do an Essay

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 am

'Well,I think we could include the History behind them, who invented it,etc. And evaporating the water and drying is not same thing,is it? I mean if you get drenched in potions or something? So that can be included too. What do you think?' Alexis answered.
    Suddenly she looked up, 'And we could include charms used in other countries too!' She was excited at the prospect.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 am

Iris answered from above, "Alright then. Whatever we may find. I haven't thought about other countries using them. I no nothing." and raised her shoulders while returning a nonsense book about mythical creatures.
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:46 am

"Drying Charms used in other countries?" she pondered about it for a while. "We could include it if we find some."

"Whoa, Iris, how'd ya get up there?" she laughed.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 am

Iris looked below and saw how high she was now. She was usually not afraid of heights after all. She gave out a soft chuckle and climbed back down- looking tired. "Now that's a lot of climbing. Can't see anything. Who's next?" She challenged the others who were down for some time.

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only] - Page 2 Empty To Do and Essay

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 am

'Let me see then' She pushed out of her seat.
    'Um, how bout this? Egyptian Spells and Charms?'
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:08 am

Iris was dumbfounded. "Uh. Can wizards like us kinda use them? I'm second guessing whether or not Professor Lewis will include them actually." She said honestly, unsure of the decision and what will be the effect.

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only] - Page 2 Empty To do an Essay

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 am

"I don't see why not. She didn't tell us not to include them." Alexis shrugged. "The reason why we don't use them is because of the incantation. We the Europian can't articulate them the same way the Egyptians do. So we could include them and also point out that downside. I think it will add depth to our essay, same goes for Arabian Spells."
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 am

"Great idea Alexis!" she exclaimed.

"I hope those Egyptian books are in English though!" she gave a little laugh.
    It would be kinda hard if they were in Ancient Runes. They haven't studied that yet.

To Do an Essay, One Must Know What To Put. [invite only] - Page 2 Empty To Do an Essay

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 am

"Sure, I don't plan to include hieroglyphs after all." she laughed and went to get the heavy tome.
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm

"That's a relief, I thought we were gonna spend our next few hours translating runes just for the sake of this Charms essay!" she laughed some more.

[OOC: What's a tome? Or was that a typo? XD]
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Iris nodded and laughed. "Okay then. Professor was not really specific. And we'll only be the ones who were different! I want to see the other students' faces about the Egyptian topic they didn't include. Great." She imagined the thought of that while looking at the dark windows. More hours before curfew. Still have time. She reassured herself.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:17 pm

"Ok then, let's get to work." Alexis chirped happily.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 am

Iris considered that as a signal and took out a new roll of parchment with the quill and ink. Time to get busy. "Found anything? Let me take a look." She offered help and flipped an Egyptian book.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 am

Iris looked at the topics which made no sense. She flipped continuously hoping she'll find what they were looking for. Damn. This is hard. Spell for driving out demons? Nope. Not unless you make them dry.
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 am

She decided to get a book and follow suit. Flipping the pages, she sees various charms used by Egyptians, but most of them are building charms or spells to help mummies go away.

"This is why I hate looking for things..." she mumbled. There were so much words and they were making her dizzy. She can't make out what goes together. She sat back on the chair and looked further.

"Alexis, what if we see nothing? Like, no spells from other places? It's okay, right?" she asked just to be sure. It's not like she didn't want extra credit, but still, they don't have all day.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 am

'Actullay, I was thinking along the same line.' came her flustered reply from behind a pile of books.
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 am

"I guess people from other countries use the same spells as us, then." she shrugged.
    English is the universal language, after all.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

'Of course not.' Alexis replied, still absorbed in her reading. 'We use spells in latin because that's what English and other Europian languages come from. That doesn't hold for African and Asian countries.'
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Iris agreed and gave up for the second time. She closed the book, sat back, and closed her eyes. Her parchment left blank. She had enough for the start of the term. Seven classes all. Two subjects were a failure. She sighed after a few seconds and said softly. "Yeah. We can't like include them all. Those spells that Egyptians use? To many words to consider actually. They're not really spells though. Some are methods before the incantation of the formula. Mostly love spells, curse spells, driving away demons, and healing stuff. Difficult to demonstrate for us wizards." She based what she has read on the book and yawned.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Alexis gave a resigned sigh. "Ok lets put what we've found into the parchment. Let's see how long it goes." I'll come research it farther when I don't have an essay to finish, she thought.
    She began to write with her slanted handwriting.
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 am

Clarisse gave up as well, thinking that she'd never find anything.
    She moved back to her books, recalling what she had.
    "Inareccitas, Arefax, Calefax, Exaresco..." she mumbled while writing her essay.

Hmm.. I should do it in alphabetical order..
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 am

Iris sighed once again and finally wrote on her parchment - starting off with the title and some introduction. She could rewrite it when she finished the draft.

Drying Charms
    by Iris Jane Frances, Second Year Slytherin

Charms included in this category cannot only be used in the wizarding household. They can also be used in times of grief and distress. Yes, they're simple and some might say rather useless, but one wizard must still learn them for he will never know what to happen. One example of a drying charm is the Arefax. It's main appearance is invisibility. The charm completely dries whatever it is in path instantaneously. It can be useful to clothes and pets. But one exception is that it does not directly work on pools of water. Its level is legal and still advanced especially for lower years like us. The term came from the Latin word 'Arefacio', meaning 'to make dry'.

Another example is the Calefax. Similar to the first example, it is also invisible in appearance. The only difference is that it sprays hot air from the tip of the wand like a common hairdryer for muggles. The hot air causes to dry whatever it is in path or melts things which would normally be melted by warm air like snow. The casting stops until the castor does so. The charm's level is legal and appropriate for beginners. The term Calefax specifically means 'to make warm or heat'.

Two more examples included in the kind of charms is the Inaresiccitas and Exaresco. Inaresiccitas can also be called the Drought charm. The charm's physical appearance is that wisps of sand-colored mist are descending over the affected water. It causes small bodies of water to dry up like a puddle. Proper casting consumes a gallon per second. The negative exception to this is that it does not work on larger bodies of water. The skill level is legal and intermediate. It is only advanced for larger bodies of water. The last example would be the Exaresco. It evaporates the water content from the desired area. The dangerous effect of this is that if used maliciously and inappropriately, the charm can make a person dehydrated. The skill level is perfect for first and second years. Both meaning of the final examples can be alike with the very first example which is 'to become dry'.

Iris put down her quill lazily and said successfully. "Thank you! I hope that's enough." She took one last look at her parchment and yawned. "I'm so so tired. I don't have to rewrite it anymore. What do ya think?" She asked Lex and Clarisse who were still writing. She scanned the library and waited for their answer - wanting to go to the common room and have a good night sleep with Vee, who was probably lucky for resting now.

Last edited by Iris Jane Frances on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Clarisse Valliere
    Clarisse Valliere
    Unsorted
    Unsorted

Post by Clarisse Valliere Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am

"I think it's okay... You don't have to rewrite it anymore." she said thoughtfully. Clarisse has barely begun. She just sighed and put her head on the table, hoping that if she fell asleep, it'd still be the same time and all.

"Okay, I have to do something here..."

An Essay on Drying Charms
    By Clarisse Elizabeth Valliere, second year Ravenclaw

Many people would make drying charms to good use, although these aren't dueling spells. Drying charms would dry the smallest particle of liquids to the big puddles and small ponds, depending on the expertise and magical power of the user.

She trailed off, thinking of more to write.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:57 pm